Thursday 22 September 2016

Day Six - by Georgia, Madeleine, Tayarne.

Today we started off with morning Prayer and breakfast. Then we all went off to the Apostolate, as there was nothing to do at the building site. At the Apostolate, we were greeted by some of the residents, who made us fell most welcome again. We split into two different groups, group A being the Mob, and group B being the Troops, to continue painting and cleaning the Women's section. Later, we returned for Midday Prayer and a delicious lunch prepared by the Brothers. Afterwards, we returned to the Apostolate to finish off the work we had started. We returned back home, freshened up and prepared to set off to Balatas, which is a comunity based around a rubbish dump. Once we were there, we witnessed the appalling conditions in which the local people were living in. We celebrated afternoon mass at the Chapel in Balatas, that was lead by Father Lawrence and Father Damien. After Mass, we distributed soup and pasta, juice and bread to the people of Balatas. On our way home, we all sang songs that had been taught to us all by the Brothers. When we arrived home, dinner was prepared and ready for us to eat. 

Georgia - Upon the arrival at the Apostolate, I had been able to sit with the female residents of the Women's section, who were sitting outside of the Chapel, watching their home being repainted. Whilst sitting there, I began painting all the ladies nails in the colours that they had choosen. Painting the ladies nails had made all of them happy and made them feel beautiful with themselves. This was a highlight for me as I had made them feel special and brightened up their days.

Tayarne- A high light for me today was, going to Balatas and meeting the residents who have made a home at the local rubbish dump. During our time there, I was scared and unsure whilst walking around the community. I prayed to God to give me strength for the unexpected. I put on a smile and tried to keep a positive attitude, seeing the children smiling and praising God made me happy. 

Madeleine - When I first saw the community of Balatas, I felt extremely sorry for the people living there. I thought how could people live in rubbish? However, I was so amazed when we gathered for Mass and everyone came together and the people were so happy and had such a strong faith. We came together as brothers and sisters of Christ when we sang and danced together at Mass. I was full of joy at that moment. 

1 comment:

  1. Lots of prayers coming your way. Stay strong. Be patient & kind to each other. You can tell from the photos that the work you are all doing is much appreciated by the smiles on everyone's face. God bless you all.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.